Friday, April 27, 2007

Media and Teaching.. I have no clue how they relate.

Oh, the media, how I loathe you. I'm drained, that is simply it. I am drained. I feel like I should keep dilligent and write my little heart away, but the media is just so draining. By now we've gotten to the point where we can turn on one of the seemingly ever-multiplying cable news networks and not see VT's Cho mugging with his pistols pointed at the screen, or when I can read the news online without having to worry about reading more analysis of said killer, or how he planned this, how it should have been prevented and who is holding a candlelight vigil while CNN cameras slink around in the underbrush trying to capture the right amount of tears that make for great television.

It is just so draining that this stuff won't go away, and that the media creates its own icons. Cho knew he'd go down in history for doing this, and knew he'd prolong his importance by reaching out to the media, and they bit. They always do. I get this way when it comes to politics too. I feel so strongly about them, and then just sort of pitter out after getting bombarded with it. I haven't read the news in about a week now, and the thing is -- I care.

But people are just stone cold stupid. iPods should be banned from the class rooms because they can be a tool for cheating. WOW. Welcome to the 21st century. Did you know just about any cell phone, media player, or even, get this, calculator can be used for cheating? Maybe, just maybe this is just a telling sign that conventional teaching methods are dated. Quizzes and tests will always be cheated on. You know why? Students don't find them important as a part of their growing process.

Its an antiquated way of teaching most things, and outside of say math and science I can't really see the need for constant quizzing and testing. If a student learns better that way, they should have that option, but most of the time... Yeah. If a student feels the need to go to elaborate lengths to cheat, maybe said method of teaching is just not working.

No comments: