Thursday, April 12, 2007

Trapped in a Cube




I often-times wonder about society, and sometimes out loud. Sometimes I think of where I am and how that compares with society. No matter how hard, it seems near impossible to escape societal constraints, and just as hard to operate within them. As I sit at my new desk job, I think of how odd the whole thing is. I spend 8 hours a day sitting in front of a computer, and it is nowhere near as monotonous as the concept sounds.

I've always heard of the horror of desk jobs, and how they will numb your mind and break your spirits. But so far (granted, its only been a month), it isn't painful -- hell, its my lunch break and I'm inside, on my computer, in my cube due to inclimant weather. Shouldn't this be considered a problem? I'm 24 right now, and if anything I am proof that people my age have been slowly programmed to perform under the constraints of a desk job in front of a computer for 9 hours a day.

We, the young people of the world have been bred to someday move on and work, comfortably, in these conditions. It astounds me, honestly, just how simple it was to make this transition. It also frightens me to think of what the future is going to hold for society. If me at the age of 24 is completely comfortable at a desk for this many hours, staring at a bright LCD screen, with a very small amount of time to adjust -- what does that say for the future?

The Jetsons, of all things, has proven to be a spot-on critique (and warning) of society and where it is headed. I have a few more than 1 button on my desk (94 to be exact), but my job only requires a small portion of what I'm capable of, mentally. This doesn't even bother me that much, as I'm used to a lot worse when it comes to mental stimulation from a job. But the image of George Jetson in his swiveling chair pushing a few buttons every once in a while is rather haunting, because its reality now. It seemed like an absurd concept when the Jetsons was airing, and now it seems like if it already isn't now, it will be our reality in a short amount of time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's even weirder when the cubicle jobs start becoming cities unto themselves. At the one I worked at last year (credit card authorization) the boss kept his gym bag with him and would go like run laps during lunch.

Dave said...

Sad fact: It crossed my mind to do that. I have tons of stuff hung up on my little fabrique walls already, and sticky notes on my monitor (granted, Kayo Dot and Jesu lyrics..). IT IS INFECTIOUS DISEASE-RELATED.

Somebody should make an abstract film/photo/feature of zombies in the workplace already.