Monday, December 22, 2008

"All I needed was inspiration"

"There has been a new development regarding your mission
which we must now communicate to you. Months ago a man
was ordered on a mission which was identical to yours. We
have reason to believe that he is now operating with Kurtz.
Saigon was carrying him MIA for his family's sake. They 
assumed he was dead. Then they intercepted a letter he
tried to send his wife :

SELL THE HOUSE
SELL THE CAR
SELL THE KIDS
FIND SOMEONE ELSE
FORGET IT
I'M NEVER COMING BACK
FORGET IT

Captain Richard Colby - he was with Kurtz."

2 comments:

Cyd said...

I'm a sucker for Vietnam movies. Woulda been there if I was born about seven or eight years earlier. I remember the nightly body counts on the news. They always gave the enemy casualty figures on the same slide so it didn't seem so bad.
US TROOPS KILLED OR MIA: 397
ENEMY KILLED OR WOUNDED: 4,332
As for entertainment, I liked Apocalypse Now, but I'm due to see it again. I remember thinking the Kurtz finale was anti-climactic.
There was a weekly TV series a few years back. Only lasted a season or two. Had the best intro. Helicopters and the Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black." Awesome.

Dave said...

I always see the ending as intended to be anti-climatic. Kurtz was not a hero, Willard was not a hero, nobody was in control.

Basically, it is one of my favorite movies and I've always found Vietnam to be absolutely fascinating and adore films about it. From the big ones, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket to ones like Casualties of War.

"Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we do. Maybe we gotta' be extra careful because maybe it matters more than we even know."